Saturday, July 21, 2012

I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. -St. Paul

I have been reading a lot lately. Whenever I have a moment to myself, I open a book. I feel like this grounds me, no matter where I am. Reading is always something familiar that I can do. It makes me so content.

I do not necessarily need a book in order to be content. I look for the positives in all situations. Sometimes that may seem like an impossible task, but it is not. There is always something you can do or experience that will give you peace no matter how turbulent life may seem.

Taking care of myself makes me feel better about any situation. Sometimes I spend a little extra time preparing myself a nourishing meal or setting aside time to exercise. Going for walks and appreciating nature makes me content. Those things nourish the body and the soul.

A less physically productive hobby of mine is watching youtube videos of lions and giraffes and elephants relaxing in their natural habitats. It makes me feel so calm though. Those animals certainly seem content, regardless of if they have a giant house or babies running around them or a large group of friends. They just need food and water and they are good to go. I definitely at least have those things.

Your attitude towards your surroundings really alters the way you experience everything. If you are negative, everything seems so much worse. If you are anxious to reach a new stage in life, you ignore and neglect the stage you are already in.

Another facet of this is financial. Some people desire more, but more stuff just brings with it more troubles. It is better for me to be grateful for what I do have, rather than focus on what I lack. God always provides me with a home and a few earthly friends I can count on. I am truly blessed.

Being content is one of the most valuable lessons I have ever learned.










No comments:

Post a Comment